Unmanaged VDS

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
mattb
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Unmanaged VDS

Post by mattb »

Hi,

Few questions

1. I have a unmanaged vds and sometimes the server I bring it up then minimize it to the tray and sometimes it closes I don't know if it crashed or something.

2. I have users that need to open/close the server, I had TCAdmin before that I gave them access to turn on/off the servers if it went down, or needed a steam update, edit configs stuff like that, would there be a way to utilize that on my vds?
mattb
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Unmanaged VDS

Post by mattb »

oh forgot to mention how can I backup my files?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

mattb wrote:1. I have a unmanaged vds and sometimes the server I bring it up then minimize it to the tray and sometimes it closes I don't know if it crashed or something.
It's difficult to say why that might be happening, but it's definitely a software concern of some sort. The server's log file may show more information on this.
2. I have users that need to open/close the server, I had TCAdmin before that I gave them access to turn on/off the servers if it went down, or needed a steam update, edit configs stuff like that, would there be a way to utilize that on my vds?
A single TCAdmin license can be purchased from its developers for $15 a month, I believe. There are should be free basic control panels available, and I'm sure all would support stopping and starting the server.
oh forgot to mention how can I backup my files?
You will need to copy them somewhere else :). The easiest way to download large numbers of files might be to set up an FTP site, but you could also use a Windows share, or upload/download through remote desktop.
mattb
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by mattb »

Your server is out of date. Please update and restart.

Is that a steam update? How might I be able to update it :P

Code: Select all

A single TCAdmin license can be purchased from its developers for $15 a month, I believe. There are should be free basic control panels available, and I'm sure all would support stopping and starting the server.
Yeah is there any free ones/or do you offer some from nfo, that my members can turn the servers on and off.

You will need to copy them somewhere else :). The easiest way to download large numbers of files might be to set up an FTP site, but you could also use a Windows share, or upload/download through remote desktop.
I'm sorry do you mean download them from the vds and store them somewhere?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

mattb wrote:Your server is out of date. Please update and restart.
For a CS:S server, you'd use hldsupdatetool:

cd\game installs
hldsupdatetool -command update -game "Counter-strike Source" -dir sourcebase
Yeah is there any free ones/or do you offer some from nfo, that my members can turn the servers on and off.
I'm sure there are, but I would have to research this further in Google to find one. Here, we just have our in-house control panel, which is used for managed servers.
I'm sorry do you mean download them from the vds and store them somewhere?
Yes, that's correct. To back them up, you would need to transfer them off the VDS, to a different place. You could do this by connecting somewhere through the VDS and uploading, or by connecting to the VDS and downloading.
mattb
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by mattb »

Ok thanks,

Could you let me know if you found anything on that control panel please.
mattb
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by mattb »

1 thing how can I see the tick rate of my server because I like to set it to 100 if its 66 tick.
mattb
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by mattb »

1. 1 thing how can I see the tick rate of my server because I like to set it to 100 if its 66 tick.

2. My server has been crashing lately I don't know why do you guys look into the vds for anything or server logs which do I show you.

Sorry for the reply posts I can't edit the other ones.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

1. 66 tickrate is correct: http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =18&t=4627

2. It's very difficult to say what could be causing that from here. It's most likely a plugin, though, and you can troubleshoot this by removing all plugins and then adding them back in one-by-one until the crashing manifests itself again. You should do this while only running default maps, in order to also factor out the map.
mattb
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by mattb »

1. 66 tickrate is correct: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4627
Some GSP sell 100 tickrate which I saw, but might be using this plugin.

2. It's very difficult to say what could be causing that from here. It's most likely a plugin, though, and you can troubleshoot this by removing all plugins and then adding them back in one-by-one until the crashing manifests itself again. You should do this while only running default maps, in order to also factor out the map.
The crashing only happens sometimes, which is why I wanted the panel so If I wasn't there to restart them they would be closed :(
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Some GSP sell 100 tickrate which I saw, but might be using this plugin.
All GSPs who claim 100 tickrate either use this plugin (or one with identical functionality) or have outdated websites that are pre-Orangebox. Quality GSPs shouldn't be selling 100 tickrate servers, though, as they perform worse than 66 tickrate. There's not too much point in running it if it makes things worse :).
The crashing only happens sometimes, which is why I wanted the panel so If I wasn't there to restart them they would be closed :(
I would recommend using FireDaemon to take care of this for you.
mattb
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by mattb »

New server no addons, plugins basically pub crashed, is it because im minimizng them lol
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I wouldn't expect minimizing it to cause a problem. What shows up in the logs when it crashes? If you're not seeing information in the logs, try adding -condebug to your command line and looking for a "console.log" file in your mod folder.

There has also been talk on the Valve mailing lists today about random crashes, so Steam might be having overall problems, or the latest version of the game might have some new bugs.
mattb
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by mattb »

I don't know where the console.log is

cstrike\logs

Only these files: l1002010

\cstrike\addons\sourcemod\logs

cmd_10.03.10

errors_20101003

L20101003

text file logs

One thing recently on some maps it laggs, but this lagg is like from the map, because everyone laggs/delay on these specific maps but everyones ping is low we switch map its fine sometimes thing is. You have any idea on this I tried searching everywhere for the answer. What brought me to think it was the server is that when I restart the server I go to one of these maps its fine no lagg/delay.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

mattb wrote:I don't know where the console.log is
With a CS:S server, it would be in "cstrike", but only if you enable -condebug.
One thing recently on some maps it laggs, but this lagg is like from the map, because everyone laggs/delay on these specific maps but everyones ping is low we switch map its fine sometimes thing is. You have any idea on this I tried searching everywhere for the answer. What brought me to think it was the server is that when I restart the server I go to one of these maps its fine no lagg/delay.
That would be a separate issue from the crashing, unless it's an attack of some sort. Has anyone threatened an attack on your server recently?