Stupid Question

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
tacticious
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Stupid Question

Post by tacticious »

I want to go to a VPS. In the past I had a box with CentOS 5 32 bit on it, that's where I've got a tiny bit of experience. My (stupid) question is, with a VPS how do you setup game servers that don't have openly-distributed server binaries? When I ran a VPS, I was only into CoD 4, which has binaries readily available. I want to host BF3 (and later BF4) servers, and I'm curious how I'd do that on a VPS.

Yes, I'm a noob with VPSes. :lol:

Thanks.

P.S. I'm wanting an unmanaged VPS. I like root access.
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Stupid Question

Post by Vanderburg »

BF3 (And I'd expect BF4) can only be hosted through Recommended Server Providers, such as NFOServers, with a managed server, because EA/DICE do not allow the dedicated server files to be released to the public. It will not be possible to host these game servers on an unmanaged system.
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

There used to be cracked copies of the server/client files for COD, however they have all been shut down.

Alteriwnet was the major one. Had thousands of clients on it.
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

Looks like it's fourdeltaone now, and is active. If you want to run a COD server of your own.
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

4D1 has nothing to do with CoD4. They modded MW2 and MW3 to allow dedicated/ranked server. Has nothing to do with cracks. And it probably is not wise to promote running any cracked servers.

@tacticious

You can't have root access to a server running restricted server software. Your only choice would be to run your CoD4 on a managed server with no root access and BF3(4). Or just buy PPS servers.
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

Which is why I specified in a general term there is a way to run a COD server, if he wanted. Besides that, there's no way to run COD or Battlefield on your own. There's nothing wrong with posting it.
tacticious
New to forums
New to forums

Post by tacticious »

rustydusty1717 wrote:Which is why I specified in a general term there is a way to run a COD server, if he wanted. Besides that, there's no way to run COD or Battlefield on your own. There's nothing wrong with posting it.
That's incorrect, though. You can run dedicated CoD servers with legitimate, legal, uncracked binaries on up to WaW (I believe). MW2/BO/BO2 are the only titles in the CoD series that do not distribute binaries.
Vanderburg wrote:BF3 (And I'd expect BF4) can only be hosted through Recommended Server Providers, such as NFOServers, with a managed server, because EA/DICE do not allow the dedicated server files to be released to the public. It will not be possible to host these game servers on an unmanaged system.
Gotcha. Didn't know if there was a way to throw any restricted servers onto an unmanaged server. That answers that question.

I will probably just go with a managed server, then. As fun as it is to have a server to test scripts with, I'll have to just deal with the fact that publishers are moving to the restricted servers. It doesn't make sense (doesn't stop piracy at all, which is what they claim they do it for) and you know it's just for cash, but they're caring less and less about the PC market as-is. Guess I'm lucky there is even a BF3/BF4 on PC with how consoles dominate the gaming market.
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

rustydusty1717 wrote:Which is why I specified in a general term there is a way to run a COD server, if he wanted. Besides that, there's no way to run COD or Battlefield on your own. There's nothing wrong with posting it.
Completely false, and I will leave it at that.

@tacticious

Probably the managed setup would be best for you, for what you seem to want.
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Vanderburg »

TacTicToe wrote: Completely false, and I will leave it at that.
Whether or not that is true, it isn't something that we're going to allow to be discussed here.