Setting up basics on VDS [Forum]

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
arucarD
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Setting up basics on VDS [Forum]

Post by arucarD »

I have been looking around the forums trying to at least figure out some basics. I have a VDS I just recently purchased, I am currently on Windows 2008 x64. I also am on the free trial until tomorrow I suppose.

I am trying to get the forum up and running on the server, but I do not recall what needed to be installed to make this happen. I have not done an install like this in over 5 years, so my memory is zapped. lol

I just need to be pointed in the right direction is all, any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
. [ R ] .
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Re: Setting up basics on VDS [Forum]

Post by TimeX »

The requirements vary depending on the forum software you plan on using, and they should have a list of everything needed. The most likely basics you will need is a web host set up, such as Apache or IIS, and a database such as MySQL. Beyond that, you may need PHP or other software installed, depending on your forum software requirements.
TimeX
arucarD
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by arucarD »

I was planning on using something such as e107 or phpnuke. Something simple but that can have a nice look and feel to it.. I will look into certain setups, but lets say e107 for basics purposes..Anything specific needed?
. [ R ] .
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

E107, like most site software, certainly has specific requirements. I have not worked with it much myself to know exactly what it needed offhand, but the information on their site should have all those specifics.
TimeX
arucarD
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by arucarD »

Currently taking a look at some tutorials, all of them are extensive enough to give me some sort of base. Issue is, they are at the very least confusing. I was searching around for something offering simplicity, certain things such as XAMP etc are available. But I do not know what their memory usage may be and how it would work for a VDS. [I would much rather have the individual functions there than a big package.]
. [ R ] .
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

You want simple and fast to setup? Why no use phpBB? I've gotten myself down to about 5 minutes total to get one up and running. You need a simple WAMP stack for windows. Windows, Apache, Mysql, PHP. If you have the following, create a database, user and password, and copy the files to the appropriate folder. Then simply run the install file and it tells you what to do from there.
arucarD
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by arucarD »

I dont have those installed, but I would imagine installing them piece by piece will lead to at least some success. But that is definitely helpful, any more insight would be appreciated, I had apache installed, but due to the x64 architecture, it was located in c:\programs files (x86)\Apache 2.2 .
. [ R ] .
arucarD
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by arucarD »

This is what I have achieved so far :

1. Apache installed and showcasing It Works! when local host and local port is used.
2. PHP installed
3. Mysql installed

Now the issue I am having is installing phpMyadmin, also trying to figure out how to get my website to recognize the location of the files properly.. Everything currently is in htdocs folder of Apache, I wanted it to be on the root folder of the HD.
. [ R ] .
arucarD
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by arucarD »

Utilizing WAMP server, I was able to achieve semi success on the forum front. I checked out a quick e107 install, the best themes are definitely premium. It is a great piece of software though.

I did a quick run with phpbb3, worked perfect as well. I was also able to configure a free DNS server, get it working properly with my VDS. Primary issue here is, no matter what I configure my domain name to, it is not loading.

Keeps giving me server not found, even after I enter the IP address in the A section of the DNS. But yet the free DNS server works with the IP...
. [ R ] .
arucarD
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by arucarD »

Sorry for the basic rundown and constant posting, but I used it to keep track of my progress. Currently, I have successfully managed to get my DNS working with WAMP. After testing the settings, the domain, and everything else under the sun. LoL

1. Configured DNS server by changing the A to the VDS IP.
2. Eliminated all unnecessary CNAMES from that option except www and ftp.
3. Added another IP under A for mail.
4. Drank a monster. [Currently on my second.]

Last part is not necessary, neither did it do anything, but at least it tasted good. lol Now that the website is out of the way in a sense, more time to kill for the server aspect.. O man, Dr. Pepper time.
. [ R ] .