VDS performance

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: VDS performance

Post by kraze »

We have some good articles on how BF3 performs here on VDS/Dedicated machines here;

http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =70&t=5815

http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =51&t=4561

What an HT core is exactly;
http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =47&t=5099

There is no doubt that BF3 has its issues like other games, however with a majority of our customers that are following the guidelines set in our performance guarantee and with proper trouble shooting, experience no issues.

https://www.nfoservers.com/performanceguarantee.php
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
OzumSage
New to forums
New to forums

Post by OzumSage »

i understand your guarantee, but a credit isn't going to do anything if the games can't be played on the machine. we had a 4 core vds and couldn't even run (1) 32 man bc2 on it because of so many performance issues. we were moved to a dedicated machine and the problems went away. so it was a vds problem. we ended up paying more, but got a much better experience. we would like to keep our servers that we have on our dedicated machine, but right now can't afford them so we were going to try a vds again. so if the games won't run with good performance on the vds, the guarantee isn't going to do anything to fix the game server. a refund would be much better since we don't know if the vds will perform until we pay for it. i know refunds aren't your policy, but the credit isn't much good if the machine doesn't perform. basically we would just be giving you money and if the performance wasn't there, we wouldn't have a server and you would keep our money.

i am not trying to knock you guys at all. you are the best company. we have had good experiences with all your servers except vdses. it has been over a year since we had a vds and were hoping the performance would be there and issues fixed. we dont' want to pay $90 for a 4 core vds and extra money for bf3 slots and can't use it due to server performance issues like we have had in the past. i wish there was some machine that we could test for bf3, bc2 and vietnam so we can see if we are just wasting over $100 for a machine we can't use.

anybody with a machine we could test? anybody?
0mni
New to forums
New to forums

Post by 0mni »

I am running a 3 Core VDS with 3 BF3 servers, 2x 48 and 1x 16. I am not running into any issues, at times it can feel a little laggy, but the CPU/Memory is never pegged, far from it, it is around 50% bounceing around.

You can see our servers here: http://nonamegamer.ca/game-servers/status
ImageImage
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

OzumSage wrote:i understand your guarantee, but a credit isn't going to do anything if the games can't be played on the machine. we had a 4 core vds and couldn't even run (1) 32 man bc2 on it because of so many performance issues. we were moved to a dedicated machine and the problems went away. so it was a vds problem. we ended up paying more, but got a much better experience. we would like to keep our servers that we have on our dedicated machine, but right now can't afford them so we were going to try a vds again. so if the games won't run with good performance on the vds, the guarantee isn't going to do anything to fix the game server. a refund would be much better since we don't know if the vds will perform until we pay for it. i know refunds aren't your policy, but the credit isn't much good if the machine doesn't perform. basically we would just be giving you money and if the performance wasn't there, we wouldn't have a server and you would keep our money.

i am not trying to knock you guys at all. you are the best company. we have had good experiences with all your servers except vdses. it has been over a year since we had a vds and were hoping the performance would be there and issues fixed. we dont' want to pay $90 for a 4 core vds and extra money for bf3 slots and can't use it due to server performance issues like we have had in the past. i wish there was some machine that we could test for bf3, bc2 and vietnam so we can see if we are just wasting over $100 for a machine we can't use.

anybody with a machine we could test? anybody?
There are certain locations where NFo runs faster machines for VDS servers.
You may want to ask them if they have any fast machines that are available.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

That's not really the case (at least, not now -- it might have been at some point). We run a variety of machines at all locations. We can also certainly move a server to a new machine if one is available and the customer is seeing a problem and requests it.

We do not support/endorse BF3 servers >48 slots on VDSes. Less than this, they seem to run normally on any of our hardware. I have not seen problems with any size of BC2 servers on any VDSes for a long time.
OzumSage
New to forums
New to forums

Post by OzumSage »

0mni, i tried out your rush server when it was full and all seems well. we my try a vds again if we can get put on a fast processor machine in chicago. i will keep trying your servers and hopefully can try them when they are all full. thanks!
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

OzumSage wrote:0mni, i tried out your rush server when it was full and all seems well. we my try a vds again if we can get put on a fast processor machine in chicago. i will keep trying your servers and hopefully can try them when they are all full. thanks!

If you see problem, open a support request and we can look and see if there is a faster machine available. Usually we can move you if needed.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
0mni
New to forums
New to forums

Post by 0mni »

The rush server is always full, the TDM server is full usually only in the afternoon towards early hours of the morning 3-4 AM EST. You are welcome to try them out when they are all full, it does happen when the TDM gets going.
ImageImage
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

Edge100x wrote:
That's not really the case (at least, not now -- it might have been at some point). We run a variety of machines at all locations. We can also certainly move a server to a new machine if one is available and the customer is seeing a problem and requests it.

We do not support/endorse BF3 servers >48 slots on VDSes. Less than this, they seem to run normally on any of our hardware. I have not seen problems with any size of BC2 servers on any VDSes for a long time.
I ran couple 64 slot servers 2 of them full for couple days without a crash when the game was first released (before things went down hill)
I ran this on a 6 core machine Intel X5675 machine and when things were working from EA side everything was running fine.
OzumSage
New to forums
New to forums

Post by OzumSage »

0mni i have hopped in yours a few times when they were full and the vdses seemed great! there weren't any issues that i could see and they played smooth. we hope to get a vds in chicago when there is hardware available. thanks. seems like we are vds bound! thanks for the feedback icewolf