Host SMF on VM?

Connect with other users about what to run on your webhosting (and how to run it) here.
tg_thuggins
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Host SMF on VM?

Post by tg_thuggins »

Hello all,

Forgive my noobishness, I am inexperienced with hosting.

My gaming community currently runs a virtual machine through NFO with the following specs:

intel E5 2690 V2
1333Mhz ECC memory
SCSI HDD
Windows Server 2008 R2

We are actively running an arma 2 dayz server, but I would like to move our forums to the same machine. The forum data is pretty small and only occupies about 1 GB of space, so my question is:

Is it possible to host a game server and website on the same virtual machine? If so, how might I go about doing this?

All the best,
T
doulos9
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Host SMF on VM?

Post by doulos9 »

Of course it is possible, but it is not a good idea to put web hosting and game servers on the same machine, IMO - especially not one that uses mysql. I wouldn't think you would want to have your game server share RAM, CPU, and I/O with a web server. Get a 1-core Linux VPS for your web server, at NFO prices ($7.99) it is negligible for a gaming community that is being supported by it's members.

The amount of disk space a website uses is not the issue with sharing game/web server on the same machine.

Setting up a Linux web server is very easy especially if you are only running one website (not Virtual hosts).