Router in LA

News for the main page
Edge100x
Founder
Founder
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Router in LA

Post by Edge100x »

We are currently working to purchase a router for our LA bandwidth. We should be able to improve our service substantially with the router. Here's how.

* We have confirmed problems routing traffic to customers of Cox (and LVCM), Adelphia, and Road Runner/AOL, primarily due to InterNAP not fully optimizing the path to those customers. With the addition of the router, we will be able to use our own optimization software and also hand-tweak these paths. This will result in a ping improvement of 10 to 20 milliseconds for customers on one of these providers. We should also be able to improve latencies to customers of other providers.

* The router can perform load balancing and traffic prioritization, so game server traffic will get priority over web traffic (for instance), and our connections are better utilized. This should reduce choke and jitter for everyone.

* We will be able to offer an additional service choice for those customers most focused on price, similar to our old Hybrid option. This bandwidth choice will use a limited subset of the backbones available to InterNAP.

* The router will provide an emergency firewall for the rare case when we experience a denial of service attack, allowing us to better recover from such attacks.

As you can see, the addition of a router will be a big bonus for us and for you. We are working hard on getting this router in place as soon as we can so everyone can start reaping the benefits.

Update: If you are having higher pings to LA then you did before, please email us your IP and your tracert if you can, so we can look into it.
Last edited by Edge100x on Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bOoya
Former staff
Former staff

Post by bOoya »

oo sexy.
StrawDragon
Staff
Staff

Post by StrawDragon »

That does sound sexy... Nothing is better then new hardware to touch :)

What kind of Router is this? Another Cisco?

Any ETA?
Nick|NFo
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Nick|NFo »

Cisco Router for sure, always enterprise level of technology.

The Cisco router would be most likely a 7206vxr

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/ ... index.html

-Nick
vindictiveRR
A regular
A regular

Post by vindictiveRR »

Will this effect Altanta InterNAP customers?
StrawDragon
Staff
Staff

Post by StrawDragon »

acuraCLS wrote:Cisco Router for sure, always enterprise level of technology.

The Cisco router would be most likely a 7206vxr

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/ ... index.html

oooohhhh.... *drool*

Nothing beats the quality of a Cisco :)

Hmm I wonder if that is my CCNA cert talking :D
Nick|NFo
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Nick|NFo »

you got your CCNA cert too? did you go through the Cisco Networking Academy in High School, or take classes at the local college? or did the hard way, just study the big book and took the test 8)
-Nick
StrawDragon
Staff
Staff

Post by StrawDragon »

acuraCLS wrote:you got your CCNA cert too? did you go through the Cisco Networking Academy in High School, or take classes at the local college? or did the hard way, just study the big book and took the test 8)
I wish my HS offered CCNA, but then again I havent been in HS in 10 years :)

I had taken a CCNA course at a college here. Then went for my test. I also had CCNA CD's from LearningKey...
Server renter
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Server renter »

Do you have an ETA for when all this will happen?
Shoe
A regular
A regular

Post by Shoe »

yet again...nfo working hard to make great service even better.
I'm sure that this will happen asap..but a eta would be nice for my "high ping" (me~adelphia) members.

Thanks again.
Server renter
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Server renter »

Yes , I have over 20 members and some of them have poor ping so it would be great to give them some kind of idea when it might improve.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

We are trying to get a temporary fix before we get the router, in the next day or two. The router should be about a week.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

If you are having higher pings to LA then you did before, please email us your IP and your tracert if you can, so we can look into it.
Server renter
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Server renter »

Yes I sent my trace route and you guys responed very fast! I have rented severs with 2 other companies before but you guys have the best service I have seen. You said it looks like a problem with COX cable and the new router you are working on should help. I hope so because I am in AZ which is not far from you and I am sadly getting 10 points better ping in some of the Texas servers that I play in some times.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

We have coordinated a fix on the outbound traffic to Cox/Adelphia/Road Runner. We'll have to wait on fixing the inbound until we get the router.

If your ping hasn't gone down, and the traceroute tool in the control panel shows an outgoing trace through Verio to your IP, please email us with your IP address.