editing VPK files?

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
coty9090
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

editing VPK files?

Post by coty9090 »

I have been trying to edit botprofile.db so i can change the bot amount and names in CS:S, but it's in one of the VPK files and when i tried editing it, the server messed up. So how can i edit the botprofile.db without screwing up the server? I tried using GCFScape.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: editing VPK files?

Post by Edge100x »

You should be able to put that file directly onto the server and it will be read instead of what's in the VPK.
coty9090
A regular
A regular

Post by coty9090 »

Tried that already with no luck.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Taken from a 5 year old gamebanana thread on editing bot names:
Noooo. You need to extract the botprofile.db file from the gcf to anywhere you'd like. Then you edit it. When you're done editing, move it to your /counter-strike source/cstrike folder. Don't edit anything in the GCF directly.
Bot amounts are generally edited with "bot_quota number".
You can make bots fight each other without humans using "bot_join_after_player 0", although I don't recommend setting that in a shared hosting environment :P
Not a NFO employee
coty9090
A regular
A regular

Post by coty9090 »

I want bots to go over the half limit slots on the server. (say total 64 slots and the bots take up 33+ instead of stopping at 32.)
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

It depends on the map. Stock maps support 20 players per team(has nothing to do with bots). Most custom maps are designed for 64 players.

If you are on a smaller map with not enough spawn points you can use spawntools7 to add spawn points: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=1054201
Not a NFO employee
coty9090
A regular
A regular

Post by coty9090 »

I have spawn tools 7, created more spawn points, but i need my edited botprofile.db to be read instead of the one in the vpk.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Have you tried putting it in the cstrike folder? Make sure there are no editing mistakes, like missing quotes or brackets.
Not a NFO employee
coty9090
A regular
A regular

Post by coty9090 »

Yeah, i had to manually put quotes around EVERY bot name... got it to read my botprofile.db

Only problem i am having now is that it won't add more bots even though i added a ton with spawn tools 7 and put more bot profiles in... It only increased the total by 2... so 34 bots now.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

coty9090 wrote:Yeah, i had to manually put quotes around EVERY bot name... got it to read my botprofile.db

Only problem i am having now is that it won't add more bots even though i added a ton with spawn tools 7 and put more bot profiles in... It only increased the total by 2... so 34 bots now.
Post the contents of the map config in /cstrike/addons/sourcemod/configs/spawntools7/map_config.cfg
Put the info on something like pastebin.

It will look like gibberish most likely, but I just want to compare it to our configs we have for our gungame server.

EDIT: Also, something to note is the ONLY limiting factor for the number of bots in CS:S is spawn points. If you are editing your botprofile just to get say 64 bots in a game, it is useless.(This is different in CS:GO)
Not a NFO employee
coty9090
A regular
A regular

Post by coty9090 »

This is for cs_assault

http://pastebin.com/B4Dq4MQz
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Looks fine, on a default server I can load at least 40 bots(the default stock map spawn limit). What are you using to add bots?
Not a NFO employee
coty9090
A regular
A regular

Post by coty9090 »

I tried the default bot_quota but it stuck at 35, and i'm using iBots by TnTSCS
coty9090
A regular
A regular

Post by coty9090 »

Thanks soja, but i found why it wasn't working... Had some bot cvars in server config that was screwing it up.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

ah derp xD

Didn't know you were using custom bots. All of my instructions were for default CS:S bots :)
Not a NFO employee