server question

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
mattb
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

server question

Post by mattb »

vds number two it says you can host 2-6 game servers so it's like 2 or 3 servers on each core but if I want to host cs:s which is a single threaded game how do I asign the servers on those specific cores? I asked in a support ticket but didn't really understand so I'm asking here.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: server question

Post by kraze »

Windows will automatically move processes between threads/cores in order to even out the load. It is usually best to keep it this way. 2-6 is a general idea depending on the server and slots.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

That's correct; you don't have to worry about assigning servers to cores, as Windows does it automatically, and it actually does a pretty good job. Our testing has not found a performance improvement from manually setting the affinity.
mattb
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by mattb »

Well if I got a dedicated server tje 1270 8 core with tcadmin which you can place your server on any of the 8 cores would If I host 12 servers and only have 4 of the twelve servers on cores is that good?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

You should not assign servers to cores. This will hurt the overall performance of the machine.

Note that you would need to go with an unmanaged server to run TCAdmin (and install it yourself).
mattb
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by mattb »

Thanks for the reply, will it cause performance issues even if I even out the servers on the dedicated server or not, why are they there then the core options? Because I was thinking of setting up a few mw3 servers on the server but with no cores asigned to them just a bit confusing.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Yes, it can cause performance problems to assign affinities even if you think that you are evening them out. This is partially because the cores on a VDS are HT cores. Giving the OS the ability to do moment-to-moment balancing results in higher performance, generally, even on full machines, and even when there are fewer game servers than cores.

TCadmin likely included that option because it made more of a difference in older versions of Windows, or just because people asked for it. But, I don't really know, as we don't run TCadmin here. Our control panel was developed before theirs and is a bit more advanced.
mattb
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by mattb »

Thanks for the help, on dedicated servers too? Does this cause the cpu ro go past 50 %?
mattb
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by mattb »

Do all the dedicated servers run xen unmanaged and manged?
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

Xen is a hypervisor to split up resources on a full machine. Managed and un-managed just means you can either access your whole Virtual machine, or guest machine or just have a control panel to control it.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Yes, all VDSes run on Xen here.