MineCraft - Cheats and block breaking?

CactusJab
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

MineCraft - Cheats and block breaking?

Post by CactusJab »

here is my situation:
players (including myself) are unable to break or build blocks and no its not because we are too close to the Spawn.

only way i could figure out how to fix this for our members is by adding their usernames to the /ops.txt
however now there are several people using cheats. cheats that are typed out in the chat to allow them to receive free resources, ex:
/god mode for invincibility
/give free resources (to player name)
and teleporting across the map.
i do not wish to ban these people but hey are making the game less fun for those members that wish to play cheat free.
so i have 3 questions i hope someone can help me understand or solve:

how can i disable cheating?
if players were not on the /ops.txt (admin) file would they still be able to cheat?
if so, how can i enable players ability to break and build blocks without adding them to the /ops.txt file?

thank you for your time
j0rd0n420
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: MineCraft - Cheats and block breaking?

Post by j0rd0n420 »

Are you running Bukkit with any plugins?
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

It does indeed sound like you have some sort of build protection plugin running.

The commands/cheats you mentioned are standard OP commands that people will have access to when added to the ops list. People shouldn't need to be added to this to place or remove blocks.
TimeX
CactusJab
A regular
A regular

Post by CactusJab »

yes i added a minecraft viewer plugin using Bukkit. plugins could be the issue? would you recommend just reinstalling the server and starting fresh. (nothing really build or accomplished that would be missed anyway)
would this explain the lack of block building and collecting? so if i removed the plugin everything should be fine?

Thank you for your time :-)
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

I would recommend removing or disabling the plugin first to see what effect it has, or just disable craftbukkit completely from the "Server control" page in the control panel. This will give you a better idea of what the cause is without doing a complete reinstall.
TimeX
arucarD
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by arucarD »

This issue happened to me as well as soon as I installed and ran Crafbukkit / Bukkit. I added myself to the ops, no issue anymore. I would imagine there is some sort of either protection that must be edited or something along those lines in order to eliminate it.

Here are some things I have found :
i made a server and my friend cant break blocks, i tried to make him op but it doesnt work.
but i can see him breaks the block and get the item and if he relog he can see he got the item.
i tried to redownload the bukkit server and still.
Win XP Sp3 x86
Java 1.6.0.23

Server is vanilla (bukkit without plugins) (on the first time i had 1 plugin)
i dunno the build of craftbukkit but its the latest cuz i just redownloaded it as i said.
In response a user said :
Try to walk a couple of blocks away from spawn and try there.
A moderator said :
No, OPs can do it on the spawn.
Try a new world, maybe the current one is corrupted.
Major thing I see is that people keep saying things about it being a spawn protection from Craftbukkit and also to set up the permissions and check if the default group is set to build. [I have to do this as well.]

This is the plugin to do so if you currently do not have it : Permissions
. [ R ] .
arucarD
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by arucarD »

I believe this plugin to be essential to those running MC servers, same as Big Brother. This plugin right here prevents the ever present worry of griefing.
. [ R ] .
CactusJab
A regular
A regular

Post by CactusJab »

i am trying to keep members from hacking/cheating what ever i thought if i took them off the ops.txt they wouldn't be able. now they doing in a different style?

what does this mean in the text?
giving himself some 324
is he hacking/cheating. what does this mean...
j0rd0n420
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by j0rd0n420 »

I don't think they're hacking, looks more like they have access to /give or /item commands. Are you running Essentials plugin? I believe that even if you remove them from ops.txt they'll have access to /give with that plugin unless you get Permissions or GroupManager plugins also or remove Essentials.
CactusJab
A regular
A regular

Post by CactusJab »

actually i had them on the admin list. so they can give themselves building materials as admin?
so its legal cheating
j0rd0n420
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by j0rd0n420 »

CactusJab wrote:actually i had them on the admin list. so they can give themselves building materials as admin?
so its legal cheating
In that case they're not hacking, that giving text from your screenshot is just him using /item or /give commands to give himself materials as you intended.
arucarD
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by arucarD »

Yeah definitely no hacks, just grab permissions set them and you will not encounter this issue. Biggest issue I have read about is the flying. Many servers do not allow it, state so in the server rules and also in their server descriptions. Same can be said about griefing. [Since flying is not only flying but also noclip. From what I have read.]
. [ R ] .