20 min connection time for new cod4 server

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
gominator
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

20 min connection time for new cod4 server

Post by gominator »

> Hi guys,
> In respect to dedicated server admin@appliedweaponology.com
> I am experiencing connection issues with cod4 . my servers all run fine
but
> when I restart a server or create a new cod4 server I am unable to connect
> to the server for a minimum of 20 minutes. I have eliminated tcadmin as a
> problem by manually setting up a server with the same result. I have
another
> box in dallas I am using to test also...the problem is only evident on my
> box...firewall is turned off etc..we are at a loss but it is getting very
> frustrating.. hoping you can help out. it is numerous clients also
trying to
> connect..not just one.
>
> checked......firewall (turned off) reconfigured ports for game
> problem does not affect remote desktop.connects without delay
> getting response back from activision..(heartbeat)
> Punkbuster fails to resolve dns,,takes a few retries
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Re: 20 min connection time for new cod4 server

Post by TimeX »

I have heard of this same problem once before but didn't heard back in the end to know exactly what happened. At the time I suspected it was a mod related issue, that perhaps a mod installed altered something on the server to cause the problem in all mod configurations from that time forward.

What mods do you have installed on this server currently (even if they are just installed but not set to load)?
TimeX
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I've seen this happen for several of our customers recently, and it appeared to be related to the recent Activision outage, and lingering problems. You should definitely check out the mods first, but after this, it might be good to take a look at packet dumps in Wireshark to see if the server is failing to contact some external host. There may be a file that can be edited to prevent it from trying, if so.
gominator
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by gominator »

Thanks for replies.. I run numerous mods on a few ip's AVP,aliens,MW2,Extreme,RSM..All mods have been running for a while with no problems.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

CoD4 servers have been running for quite a while without problems in general, but clearly there is some sort of external factor at play. I agree with TimeX that deactivating the mods temporarily would be the best first step, as it's possible that one of those is dependent on a failing outside service, as well -- and doing it will only take a couple of minutes. In the meantime, we can try to think of other things to test (apart from looking at the traffic in Wireshark).
gominator
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by gominator »

Thanks again for reply. I ended processes of all servers including modded/stock servers. (all servers shut down). Restarted a stock cod4 with stock server.cfg/no mods in mod folder except default "modwarfare" Same result after start up (timeout) I am presently deleting and mods that are not current and in use from any or all mods folders.(will report back)
gominator
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by gominator »

no change unfortunately.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Ok, it must be a problem with the communication with Activision, as I first suspected.

I saw problems with several customer game servers freezing up all day yesterday because of Activision issues early in the morning, as well. Servers that have never had problems before.

Investigating this further would require dissecting the packet captures and trying to determine what host isn't working.
gominator
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by gominator »

I would not be surprised if indeed it is the master, perhaps a wait of a day or two might be advisable to see if this just clears up. We may be trying to fix something that isn't broken . Thanks again John / TimeX
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Roger. I am thinking that they probably won't fix it over the weekend, but it's worth a little wait. I will hopefully have more time to look into this next week personally, as well.
gominator
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by gominator »

Well, its been a few days. My problem is still unchanged. Any time a cod4 server is restarted or a new cod4 server is created there is about a 20 wait before anyone can connect. Otherwise everything seems to be perfectly normal. I have Googled to no end and have found no posts with the similar problem (other than very old posts claiming the master was on the fritz.) no current posts which leads me to believe that I must be one of the very few, if any experiencing the problem.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

You're definitely not the only one. CoD4 servers continue to shrink in popularity, but we have several customers here who have the same problem.
gominator
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by gominator »

Update, I am certain now that we are being used as a reflector in a DRDoS attack as per your email John. We have created an ACL and added numerous IP's to it. The problem is....as fast as we add IP"s to the list...new ones appear. When tracing the IP's most are offline gameservers listed in gametracker. most seem to be hosted at Softlayer.net . Are we able to ban a DNS? this is getting tiresome. I spend most of my time chasing IP's and no time enjoying my server...something's got to give.
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

If this is a VDS and it's affecting other customers on the machine, John will have to take action. If it's only affecting you, there's a few options that you could try. Anyone you've banned or pissed off severly that may cause them to ddos your server?
gominator
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by gominator »

@rustydusty... This is a full dedicated machine in Dallas..As this appears to be a reflective" DRDOS" I am not the target and it appears that NFO is not the target...My resources/ Dedi are being used to attack someone else if I understand the attack correctly. explained better here.

http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =25&t=4960

all I know is its getting old and getting frustrating.