Chicago Half-Life Servers

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Chicago Half-Life Servers

Post by rustydusty1717 »

Anyone know what to use as sv_region for Chicago based servers? Since chicago isn't exactly east, but it isn't west either. Personally, I'm west and I ping 55-60, along with east coast players. sv_region 0 is east, sv_region 1 is west - my question is if you can do sv_region 3 so it shows up in both regions?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Chicago Half-Life Servers

Post by Edge100x »

I think we use east for ours, but I'd recommend trying both and seeing which one works best :). sv_region 3 will not work, unfortunately -- it means Europe. (There's not any way to combine regions.)
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

Well I will give sv_region 0 a try for a while. I was just curious cause sometimes my servers arn't showing up on my friends favorites. I had sv_region to set to 1, so I thought maybe that was the problem. Must be just a steam problem.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Nod, it could be. In the past, Steam has had occasional issues with not loading the full server list when clients request it.
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

Well I was having the same problem at first. Rebooted the servers, now they are always on mine. Now the servers arn't showing up on some of my friends favorites lists. :?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

It's very odd that they wouldn't show up on their favorites lists, actually -- that should always work. They aren't banned, are they?
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

No, they are not banned. I think it's showing up for them now, but it's on and off. I am completely clueless at this point. I was thinking maybe a firewall issues, but I'm sure you have all the ports open. My private server is running on port 27025 though, and pub server is on 27015.
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

Just had a scrim with my team tonight and the whole time the server was showing 8/12, even though there was 10 people in. Also, there's NO traffic on my public server, and I'm pretty sure it's not even showing up on the master list. John, you have any thoughts on what might be causing this?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

rustydusty1717 wrote:Just had a scrim with my team tonight and the whole time the server was showing 8/12, even though there was 10 people in.
Were you seeing this in "rcon status", HLSW, or the Steam browser?
Also, there's NO traffic on my public server, and I'm pretty sure it's not even showing up on the master list. John, you have any thoughts on what might be causing this?
For our normal game servers, I haven't seen a server not show up on the master server list in at least a few years. The only thing I an think of that would cause it would be the firewall -- are you absolutely sure that you have all the ports open? Valve games need quite a few ports open, both UDP and TCP. (If you're not sure, you should try without the firewall to see if it shows up with that configuration.)

I actually recommend running without a firewall: http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =44&t=4025
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

I was seeing this through the Steam web browser. I was under the impression that VPS's didn't have a firewall on them. If they do, how do I open the ports? Everyone can connect to the servers, just they arn't showing up on the list.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

VPS's shouldn't have a firewall enabled by default, so if you haven't enabled one, that likely isn't the problem.

Please email me your server IP and I'll see if I can pull it up in my browser.