IL2 and hyperlobby

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Repent
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

IL2 and hyperlobby

Post by Repent »

hello, me an dmy clan/group/squadron are new to hosting and all the intricies of it, although i have managed to get a IL2 server up and running we have ran into a few problems.

is this the place to ask for help?? i hope so :)

ok, so, i installed the il2 dedicated server files, and the server runs fine with full functionality, no problems there at all.

with il2, the best place for your server to be is on HYPERLOBBY, so other likeminded flight simmers can see your server and join it, here is where the problems start.

the il2 server launches fine through hyperlobby, even shows up as a server on the hyperlobby listings, allows people to join etc etc, all works fine until......about 6 minutes into the server being up, it dissapears from hyperlobby, now the server itself is still running, people are still in there playing even though it has dissapeared from the server listing, and then, about a minute later it appears again, it keeps this up throughout the whole of the server up time, dropping out, dropping in, dropping out, dropping in, any ideas??

its making my brain hurt now just thinking about it :(
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: IL2 and hyperlobby

Post by Edge100x »

This sounds like an issue inside a VDS/VPS or dedicated server -- is that correct?

If this were another game, I'd say that the game maker is having master server problems. I am not sure what it means in the context of IL2, though, or how it might be fixed, as I have very little experience with this game.
Repent
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Repent »

i think its a VDS we have, its just strange how everyone elses server doesnt have this probelem but ours does, and only with hyperlobby.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Are you running on Windows 2003, on a recent install? If so, there's one glitch in the Xen/Linux kernel that we use that might be coming into play. To work around it, try doing this:

1. Go to Start->Control panel->Network connections
2. Right click on "Local area connection" and click "Properties"
3. Click "Configure..." near the top
4. Click on the "Advanced" tab at the top
5. Click "Large Send Offload"
6. Change the Value on the right to "Disabled"
7. Click Ok

The bug that causes this was fixed just a few days ago in a more recent release, and we are going to be rolling it out to our machines shortly, so you shouldn't have to use this workaround for long.
Repent
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Repent »

i will try it, it is server 2003
Repent
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Repent »

the option you described simply isnt there mate.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

On an older install, you might not see the Xen PV adapter, in which case you would not be experiencing the problem I'm thinking of. If you email us at support@nfoservers.com, I can check out the driver personally to make sure it's not that.

Apart from this bug that I'm thinking of, I can't think of what else it could be that would be VDS-specific, so we'd have to start looking at your routing to their servers and whether you're seeing packet loss to them.
Repent
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Repent »

ok, im not the actual account holder, but i have been put forward as the guy to fix this, so will that matter when emailing?

we have deduced it has to be the server, or something we have/havent done with it, as i have had the dedicated server software running on my machine at home all day through hyperlobby with no hiccups....

thanks for the help so far though buddy.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Repent wrote:ok, im not the actual account holder, but i have been put forward as the guy to fix this, so will that matter when emailing?
As long as the email comes from primary or secondary user of the server in the control panel, I can help.
we have deduced it has to be the server, or something we have/havent done with it, as i have had the dedicated server software running on my machine at home all day through hyperlobby with no hiccups....
Routing seems to be the most likely scenario at this point. The routing between your home and their hyperlobby server would be different than from the VDS to their server.
SYN_Bliss
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by SYN_Bliss »

This problem is resolved.. I appreciate all the help.. Can't say enough nice things about how our server performs or the folks at NFO.. :)

Thanks!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I'm happy to hear that :). Out of curiosity, what did it end up being?
SYN_Bliss
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by SYN_Bliss »

It was on our end (SYN).. To get IL-2 up and running online you have to open up a series of programs to get the game running and show up online with stats etc.. There's a program for the online connection.. A program to actually be able to moderate the server: change maps, time limits, stats, admin etc.. And then a program to allow it to be seen online publicly for other players.. And by some dumb luck we found out that we were opening them in the wrong order even though the server itself was always perfect..(3 programs to open) I think by opening hyperlobby first, b4 server commander, the game was trying to run 2 instances and therefore timing out our HyperLobby connection.. But all is well now.. :) This is our first dedicated server, and besides problems that we, ourselves caused, being new to it all, everything has been far beyond our expectations..

On a side note, this is probably the smoothest server I've ever played on.. Our whole squad is quite impressed.. Thank you!