PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS POST ISN'T ABOUT NFO
I need to vent, badly. A certain hosting company that I won't name has potentially shattered my hope on finding any decent GSP. (Excluding NFO of course, Which I just recently ordered a dedicated box from ;D)So this is the story of how a support ticket escalated from an issue with lag to a full blown community, sponsorship, and server flushed down the toilet.Things to remember:a. Our server uses a very hardcore set of configurations involving physics and overall plugin configurations.
b. These configurations have been modified and tweaked over a period of several months.
c. We play hard, and very professionally.
d. We do not keep a backup of all of our server files. (Which admittedly is stupid on our part, but who thinks something like this would ever happen?)
e. We had been with this company for more then a year.
f. This is our current ranking:
Overall Rank: 11366 / 166710 (93th %ile)
Game Rank: 1860 / 37500 (95th %ile)
Country Game Rank: 347 / 6579 (94th %ile)
City Game Rank: 37 / 669 (94th %ile)
Anyways. This is for those of you who don't want to read the full support tickets (In chronological order):
1. Our server was having noticeable problems with lag and client overflow errors lately so we put in a support ticket with information including a trace route.
2. A day later support replys that they accidentally deleted all of our server files while attempting to clear out the sprays folder.
3. "That" hosting company offers us 2 weeks of credit to get our game server back up and running.
4. They make it three after we explain that the guy that does our physics configuration is not going to be back until the 22nd, and while 10 days of downtime may not seem like a lot, it hits traffic hard.
5. We begin rebuilding the server but we quickly discovered:
a. We were completely locked out of FTP, preventing the addition of mods and configurations.
b. A sponsor we had interested in us sends me an email in an agitated tone wondering why the server isn't getting its usual traffic, and whether we are still serious about being sponsored financially.
6. They fix the FTP, but lock us out of several folders (Click here for the support ticket regarding this issue
7. They suspend our account for not paying for our next month, The server goes offline. (And after they promised us a month of credit?!?)
8. Billing deals with it, and we finally get our months credit. The server is reactivated.Here are the support tickets about the incident (Read from bottom up)Click here for the first support ticketClick here for the second support ticketConclusion
We should have kept a backup, but you must admit that its hard to expect something like this happening.
We will never consider there services ever again.
We're looking very forward to our new dedicated server from NFO.
We have our server from that host back, but the physics are permanently screwed up, and we have spent many late nights rebuilding what we've lost.
We are only keeping that server up until our dedicated server is finished being setup here at NFO, after which the remaining "Credited" time will be our server being used as a redirect to our new NFO box.
We hope that this has been a little note on why you should not
consider that company. (I haven't put the name here because if you don't recognize the color scheme, well, I'm just hope that if your considering that host you'll be able to tell.)
And sorry if I posted this in the wrong area, or if it isn't something that should be posted.