TF2

News for the main page
Edge100x
Founder
Founder
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

TF2

Post by Edge100x »

We've been getting a lot of questions about Team Fortress 2 and whether we'll be supporting it. The answer is that we should be offering it within hours of its release, and, if there is a beta that we can participate in, we will be offering servers within hours of that release as well.

We're not quite sure what the CPU and bandwidth requirements of TF2 will be, so we can't yet determine its long-term pricing structure. In the short term, we will likely be pricing it equivalent to other Source-based games.
Sushi
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Sushi »

My community is looking forward to this release. I have over 40 members that have already pre-purchased the "Orange Box" and anxious and excited for the beta. I'm not sure how it works with the beta and which GSP's are chosen to participate. If my community can assist with helping you be one of those GSP's, please let me know.

When is the soonest NFO will know?

If NFO is allowed to offer the beta, what time of day could we expect it to be available?

I actually have a couple of staff members that have scheduled Monday off just to get something going. It would be nice for NFO to share what they know so we can make appropriate plans.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sushi!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Sushi wrote:My community is looking forward to this release. I have over 40 members that have already pre-purchased the "Orange Box" and anxious and excited for the beta.
I'm excited too :). I used to play a ton of TFC and I'm looking forward to seeing first-hand how the successor turned out.
I'm not sure how it works with the beta and which GSP's are chosen to participate. If my community can assist with helping you be one of those GSP's, please let me know.
I would expect them to release the beta files through their update tool to everyone at once. Valve hasn't ever given special treatment to certain partners in the past.

If Valve did release the files only to specific partners, we would hope to be included -- considering we've been providing a Steam content server for some number of years now ;).
When is the soonest NFO will know?
Details on TF2 in general are sketchy at this point, but I'd expect to know by the 17th.
If NFO is allowed to offer the beta, what time of day could we expect it to be available?
That depends on when they release it and how swamped the Valve servers are. I'd expect to have the TF2 beta option on our order page within an hour or two of the release.
Sn1ps
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Sn1ps »

Any news yet?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Nope, still waiting.

Valve usually makes its releases at around 7pm Pacific time, or on the day after the anticipated release date.
Drake
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Drake »

Hello,

Pretty fun game, it really caught hold of my clan and we're looking for a good provider. How are your TF2 servers working out? Happy Fragging!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Our TF2 servers are working out great so far. I have actually been rather impressed with how well Valve has done in updating the Source engine and keeping the CPU usage low -- we have not been experiencing any problems with load, even with the much higher player counts.
Drake
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Drake »

Thaks Edge. We'll try out some of your test servers this weekend.
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

Question Edge, looks like some TF2 servers are running 32 slots, why can't NFo run 32 slots?
You mentioned on email that is illegal or something, more like against valve's terms I guess...If so why the 32 slot servers that been up there for days not getting shut down?
I need some clarification please, thanks.
Nick|NFo
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Nick|NFo »

Well what they are doing is manually editing a binary everytime an update is released, which isn't a pure install of the game. It also makes the game have some more issues and isn't as stable as 24 slots.

Valve hasn't made any statement about it yet afaik, but when this happened before with like HL2MP, they simply delisted the game servers based on IP. We do not want that to happen to our customers, and we always host legit servers here at NuclearFallout, so until Valve says otherwise, we'll continue hosting 24 slot servers as our max.
-Nick
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

Thanks for the clarification nick, the other night I was talking to someone on tech support and they said you guys were able to run 32 slot TF2 server, that was the main conflict, that answers all of our questions.