Newsbits

News for the main page
Edge100x
Founder
Founder
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Newsbits

Post by Edge100x »

There's a lot going on here at NFo. Here are a few juicy newsbits.

* We've finished our free holiday upgrades of existing HL1 servers. Nonaccelerated servers have been switched to accelerated and accelerated have been switched to hyperaccelerated. This change is permanent, so if you were lucky enough to have a server from us, you'll benefit from the free upgrade for as long as you own the server with that exact configuration. (We even still have some customers from 2004 that are grandfathered in with extremely low pricing, and now free acceleration, and they'll continue to enjoy those benefits as long as they want.)

* We've eliminated the option of purchasing a nonaccelerated server from our Price/order page. From now on, all HL1/HL2 servers will run at a minimum of 250fps, rather than the old minimum of 64fps. Additionally, all new Source-based servers will have the ability to change the server tickrate for free, up to 100 tick. Considering that most of our competitors still run at 64fps or 100fps by default, we're now head and shoulders above them in quality.

* We've started rolling out quad-core machines. It begins in LA, with a quad-core dual Xeon x5355 machine -- giving eight total cores running at 2.66ghz per core. The x5355 is the fastest quad-core CPU money can buy, and as far as we know, no other GSP has them. Since we started renting out servers in 2002, we've always concentrated on trying new technologies and techniques to achieve peak performance, and this is the next logical step.

* We've rolled out our new ultraaccelerator to several additional locations. As of right now, you can order an ultraaccelerated server in Seattle, Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, and New York City. We are working to have this extended to all remaining locations soon.

* We've adjusted our pricing to a flat per-slot model. This adjustment keeps smaller servers at about the same price but result in savings (sometimes significant savings) for larger servers.
BnD|Sleeper
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Newsbits

Post by BnD|Sleeper »

Edge100x wrote:There's a lot going on here at NFo. Here are a few juicy newsbits.

* We've finished our free holiday upgrades of existing HL1 servers. Nonaccelerated servers have been switched to accelerated and accelerated have been switched to hyperaccelerated. This change is permanent, so if you were lucky enough to have a server from us, you'll benefit from the free upgrade for as long as you own the server with that exact configuration. (We even still have some customers from 2004 that are grandfathered in with extremely low pricing, and now free acceleration, and they'll continue to enjoy those benefits as long as they want.)

* We've eliminated the option of purchasing a nonaccelerated server from our Price/order page. From now on, all HL1/HL2 servers will run at a minimum of 250fps, rather than the old minimum of 64fps. Additionally, all new Source-based servers will have the ability to change the server tickrate for free, up to 100 tick. Considering that most of our competitors still run at 64fps or 100fps by default, we're now head and shoulders above them in quality.

* We've started rolling out quad-core machines. It begins in LA, with a quad-core dual Xeon x5355 machine -- giving eight total cores running at 2.66ghz per core. The x5355 is the fastest quad-core CPU money can buy, and as far as we know, no other GSP has them. Since we started renting out servers in 2002, we've always concentrated on trying new technologies and techniques to achieve peak performance, and this is the next logical step.

* We've rolled out our new ultraaccelerator to several additional locations. As of right now, you can order an ultraaccelerated server in Seattle, Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, and New York City. We are working to have this extended to all remaining locations soon.

* We've adjusted our pricing to a flat per-slot model. This adjustment keeps smaller servers at about the same price but result in savings (sometimes significant savings) for larger servers.
Awesome. I am a customer from 2004 and I have been grandfathered into this deal resulting in 2 Hyperaccelerated servers :-) - I just checked server-side FPS which was around 525. Thanks for the best hosting ever!

Sleeper
Owner/Founder of BnD Clan (http://www.bndclan.net)
Proud owner of bnd.nuclearfallout.net (which has been since Nov 26, 2004)
http://www.BnDClan.com

WC3:FT CS 1.6: wc3.bndclan.com:27015 or 64.94.101.52:27015)

http://rentals.nuclearfallout.net/rent. ... ferrer=bnd
Vm|Mayhem
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Vm|Mayhem »

Thanks for the Xmas present! :D I've been a dedicated server renter since 2002 and this is why, great customer support/care. Happy holidays guys!
kmal2t
A regular
A regular

Post by kmal2t »

We've adjusted our pricing to a flat per-slot model. This adjustment keeps smaller servers at about the same price...
About the same price? I checked for my server configuration and it would be $12 more per month if I signed up now. I'd have to get a 9 slot server for the same price that I pay for 12 slots now. That's a pretty signicant change in pricing. I'd reword that sentence since it's very misleading.
kmal2t
A regular
A regular

Post by kmal2t »

Btw, you should mention that the pricing is now a flat $3.75 per slot so people know.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

kmal2t wrote:About the same price? I checked for my server configuration and it would be $12 more per month if I signed up now.
Most smaller configurations are about the same price. By "same price", I mean within a few dollars of old pricing.

There are some exceptions. If you had a nonaccelerated server and it was upgraded for free to an accelerated server, you're naturally going to have a better price than a new customer ordering an accelerated server would get -- but that's obvious. Hyperaccelerated servers are also slightly more now than they were, in some cases.
Btw, you should mention that the pricing is now a flat $3.75 per slot so people know.
We won't be doing that for a couple of reasons. First, because it's not true; The pricing structure is much more complicated than that. Prices differ from gametype to gametype and location to location, and whether the server is a private also affects it. Also, none of our servers cost exactly $3.75, since there is rounding involved. Second, because prices are subject to change; we don't want to post something here that will be outdated in a few months and confuse future customers.
Flying-Squirrel
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Flying-Squirrel »

This was a little depressing :( I ordered from you yesterday and I now find out that I JUST missed out on having a lower price for the same performance :(

Oh well I have been extremely pleased with everything so far so I guess I can't complain too much. I wish I had found you sooner.