Massive upgrades

News for the main page
Edge100x
Founder
Founder
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Massive upgrades

Post by Edge100x »

This month, we are working to upgrade most of our current dual Opteron game server boxes (which range from dual Opteron 246s to dual Opteron 252s) to dual-core, dual-processor Opteron 285 processors, with more memory and better hard drives.

While not strictly necessary, as we already have enough spare capacity to prevent CPU uage-related lag, these upgrades will give us a huge amount of breathing room for the future. We may even have a sale or two soon to take advantage of the excess capacity.
Last edited by Edge100x on Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oso
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by Oso »

Thats very nice. And those server specs looks awesome.

I hope you guys have a sale!
bOoya
Former staff
Former staff

Post by bOoya »

A week ago I met with To_mas and Nick at our LA datacenter to perform some of these CPU and RAM upgrades. I wish pictures were allowed at these data centers, because they truely are a wondrous spectacle. The sound of thousands of fans whirring away keeping some of the fastest hardware on the planet cool, and the silence of the interwebnet flowing around every which way, it's amazing.
If you ever have a chance to visit a data center, jump on it.
Oso
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by Oso »

Oh yes, that mustve been awesome.
FlyingMongoose
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FlyingMongoose »

I was at a local cable company's datacenter, while probably not as awesome a scale as Internap it was somewhat impressive...though the guy seemed pissed when I complained about how they took out the entire downtown backbone (only high bandwidth provider in the area that proved halfway decent speeds)...but it was pretty nifty nonetheless... I concur, if you get a chance to visit a datacenter...do so. This one was a telecommunications one, it's where most of their locally provided phone service and dialup internet goes through though also their "corporate headquarters"...they have a few other datacenters...one's located at the college I go to.
To'mas
Founder
Founder

Post by To'mas »

The data center that booya was referring to dedicates 3 underground floors each more than 2 acres in size to Internet connectivity and storage and operation of machines and routers all the way up to the Fiber routers.
It never fails to impress when I take visitors up there.
Oso
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by Oso »

It sounds better everytime. I wish I can visit :o
SilentSound
New to forums
New to forums

Post by SilentSound »

Hey guys, i am fairly new to these forums, but you will start reconizing my name more once i get more posts in. But i am reading all these posts about data centres and can only imagine how sick it would be. I am a technology junky, i love everything about it from computer gaming, to building computers. Aparently this would be a site to see:):)
SweetChild
New to forums
New to forums

Post by SweetChild »

how bout next getting a 10/100/1000 line in dallas or atlanta? 8)
zilla
Staff
Staff

Post by zilla »

I was lucky enough to be invited by Nick, Booya, and Tomas, to join them this past Saturday at the LA data center. Boy oh boy was it a sight to see. Row after row of data cabinets filled with tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment in each. Dozens of giant climate control units measuring every variable of the climate and keeping everything from humidity to temperature at an exact level. The sounds of roaring fans makes it almost impossible to carry on a conversation. I would have to totally agree with Booya when he says if you have the chance to visit a data center TAKE IT!
-zilla-

http://www.nuclearfallout.net
#nuclearfallout
#cod2-invite
SilentSound
New to forums
New to forums

Post by SilentSound »

Man, i am going to have to break into one of these datacenters to see one right away, the way you guys are building this up for me:P
FlyingMongoose
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FlyingMongoose »

To'mas wrote:The data center that booya was referring to dedicates 3 underground floors each more than 2 acres in size to Internet connectivity and storage and operation of machines and routers all the way up to the Fiber routers.
It never fails to impress when I take visitors up there.
Stop making me drool...
FlyingMongoose
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FlyingMongoose »

In terms a nerd would understand...
If you thought Star Trek was cool...
lol :p I'm a proud fan of star trek so I'm allowed to say it!
Vampire Hunter X
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Vampire Hunter X »

FlyingMongoose wrote:In terms a nerd would understand...
If you thought Star Trek was cool...
lol :p I'm a proud fan of star trek so I'm allowed to say it!
Vader for the win!
LLLL
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by LLLL »

Ah. I wanna go :(