How to setup Icecast server with SAM Broadcaster [Windows]

furntree
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

How to setup Icecast server with SAM Broadcaster [Windows]

Post by furntree »

**DISCLAIMER** This tutorial is for example purposes only. Remember to broadcast copyrighted music publicly you must abide by all licensing laws!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up863eQKGUI

So you want to make your own Icecast server on your un-managed VDS? Well we can help! Before we start I will mention that this will NOT be an in depth guide on how to use SAM broadcaster. This is a fairly bare bones tutorial on how to get you up and running quickly.

The first thing you will want to do is download the Icecast server client from http://downloads.xiph.org/releases/icecast/

Once Icecast server installed we will need to edit our config.

The main setting we care about here is the servers password. The default port should be fine unless you are running multiple instances.

Now that we have Icecast setup how we want we can install SAM broadcaster. During the install process you will be asked to install a database. I am going to use FireBird as it is lightweight and simple to get setup. Once selected it will download the required files and install the database automatically.

Once SAM is installed we will need to add an encoder. If you do not have the encoder window open in SAM click "Window > Encoder" to bring it up.

From there click on the "+" button to add a new encoder. In my example I will be creating a simple LAME mp3 encoder.

Next you will want to setup your quality settings. The settings I use are shown below. Adjust accordingly for your deployment.

After that click on the server details tab and fill out the required information.

Server IP is the external IP of your server.
Password is the password that you setup before in the Icecast configuration file.
The information on the right side can be whatever you like.

Now for one of the most important steps. Since this is a server without an actual soundcard we will need the routing to be done virtually. Open the config menu and click on "Audio Mixer Pipeline". From there click on your "Air Out" and change the driver to "Silent Output". This will allow SAM to send audio to the encoder without the need of an internal soundcard.

Now that we have everything setup we can start our encoder and our Icecast server.

If everything is setup correctly you should show 1 connection in your Icecast server window.

Once everything is running you will be able to go to your main Icecast page.
The address for this will be "servers_external_ip:8000". You could also setup a domain to redirect to this page.

To hear music you have playing go to "servers_external_ip:8000/live" and you should start hearing music!

Congrats you have just setup a simple Icecast server being controlled with SAM broadcaster! There are many good tutorials online specifically on SAM itself to get you going with using the program if you are new to SAM broadcaster.