Webhosting/Minecraft Server Questions

Connect with other users about what to run on your webhosting (and how to run it) here.
Paheej
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Webhosting/Minecraft Server Questions

Post by Paheej »

NFOServers,

I've got a small group of friends together who enjoy running our own private MineCraft server, but we also run our own modding website (largely unrelated to MineCraft). We've been running the Minecraft server off of a residential cable connection in the background on an i7 gaming rig (surprisingly no problems, running perfect after 4 months) and I've been running a small website from a hosting company called http://www.sharkspace.com/web-hosting.html (using their Hammerhead service).

After perusing your website recently (I used to have a VENT server earlier this year/last year - and was very impressed with your service) I found that you have Minecraft Servers and Free Webhosting, which would fit our needs nicely . . . sort of. It seems like you have most the options except for cPanel (which is really overkill for my small Wordpress site) but after hunting down the Terms of Service I found this:
To limit the use of the webspace for illegal activities and for mirroring files, files over 200MB in size are subject to a throttle of 50 k/s per connection when downloaded through HTTP. FTP upload and download rates are similarly throttled at 100 k/s.
Development versions of our mod often exceed this (sometimes up to 1GB in size) and 100k up/down limits would mean it would take in excess of 2.7 hours per download/upload. Is this typically enforced? Or is this more of a reserve the right in case you see people abusing this feature?

Here is my sites bandwidth usage:

And a link to my site:
http://www.nexus-studios.org/

I'm currently paying roughly $60 a year for webhosting; and even a small Minecraft server is doubling my small expenses for the year. I'd much rather go with a combined plan with you guys for a 10 player + Hosting deal at around $100 if possible; is this feasible? Or are my space/bandwidth requirements for the website excessive for the free web plan?

Thanks,
Paul Street
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Webhosting/Minecraft Server Questions

Post by Edge100x »

The HTTP limit is one way that we keep costs down here and is applied automatically, along with the connection limit. The FTP limit isn't actually in place right now.

The webhosting here is targeted toward standard websites and smaller file downloads, and isn't engineered for hosting very large files. In doing this, we've tweaked items like the Apache configuration (with mod_php, passenger, secure user separation, the way vhosts are set up, PHP and file caching, and so on), backups (backing everything up daily and keeping months of backups) and bandwidth (InterNAP) in ways that aren't practical for use with large files. To support a service for distributing large-format static content, I would want to set up separate webservers custom-configured for this and on cheaper bandwidth, as some other companies do (ones that specialize in simple file mirroring/hosting).
Paheej
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Paheej »

So bottom line is you don't have the optimally configured servers for the kind of web hosting I'm looking for (and I am certainly not a large enough client to warrant a custom server configuration anyway. Is there anyway I could get something like a 6 or 8 slotted Minecraft server? Something in between your 5 slot and your 10 slot?

I'm really looking at spending a max of $120 a year between both webhosting and the Minecraft server; currently that puts me at a budget of only $60 for a Minecraft server but means I'm wasting a lot of your extra features (webhosting/voice/etc).

Is the RAM estimate for players overly sufficient (only in rare circumstances would I have more than 5 players online) or is the slot limit something that is a hard limit - IE will deny more than 5 connections at one time?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Paheej wrote:So bottom line is you don't have the optimally configured servers for the kind of web hosting I'm looking for
If you are regularly offering up 1 GB files, then we don't, no =\.
Is there anyway I could get something like a 6 or 8 slotted Minecraft server? Something in between your 5 slot and your 10 slot?
We could consider adding that option for the future, but right now we don't have one between the two.
Is the RAM estimate for players overly sufficient (only in rare circumstances would I have more than 5 players online) or is the slot limit something that is a hard limit - IE will deny more than 5 connections at one time?
The RAM estimate should be a liberal one if you don't run many plugins. With many plugins, it may be about right. The slot count is a hard limit, yes.
Paheej
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Paheej »

Thanks for the information!