Running bukkit server.

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Potcat
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: Running bukkit server.

Post by Potcat »

A bit of history is in order perhaps. I have run bukkit servers three times before. The last one was on a VPS running centoOS 5.3. Bukkit was connectable straight out of the box and no plugins seemed to interfere with this. I have transferred all my worlds and plugins to this server however I have tried running my backed up data and I have also tried running new instances of the game; both result in the same problem, hence why I suspect this is a problem with port forwarding and not in minecraft's configuration, though I am totally open to the thought that I could be wrong about that.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

What problem are you having, exactly? Are there any specific error message, or is something else happening?
TimeX
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

We're not blocking any ports on our end so it is unlikely to be that.

What is the message seen when you try to connect? Also can you post the IP so some of us can try to connect?
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Potcat
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Potcat »

The problem is that I cannot connect to my server via minecraft. The minecraft server process runs and shows no errors.

I have just tested connection with iptables disabled completely; I could connect to my server then. I imagine however that I should not run my server with iptables disabled. Is there a rule I am missing?
The only one I have added (which did nothing) is the rule about port 25565.
Spray
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Spray »

Was that the full output for Iptables -L ? I don't see any Output rules. You will want to add in the following rule to allow outgoing traffic:

Code: Select all

-A OUTPUT -j ACCEPT
Potcat
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Potcat »

Spray223 wrote:Was that the full output for Iptables -L ? I don't see any Output rules. You will want to add in the following rule to allow outgoing traffic:

-A OUTPUT -j ACCEPT
Attempted that just now, it didn't work.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Potcat, those iptables rules don't make too much sense. In the INPUT chain, for instance, you have a rule that appears to allow all traffic, followed by other rules (which should never be reached). You also have reject-with icmp-host-prohibited rules, which are a no-no nowadays due to spoofed DDoS attacks.

Please give us the full rule list with this command, so that we can see exactly how they're defined:

iptables --list-rules

You mentioned port forwarding. Port forwarding does not apply here unless you're running some sort of tunnel or NAT. Otherwise, your server is exposed to the internet directly and the FORWARD chain is never used.

You should also be safe to run with iptables disabled.
Potcat
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Potcat »

Edge100x wrote:Potcat, those iptables rules don't make too much sense. In the INPUT chain, for instance, you have a rule that appears to allow all traffic, followed by other rules (which should never be reached). You also have reject-with icmp-host-prohibited rules, which are a no-no nowadays due to spoofed DDoS attacks.

Please give us the full rule list with this command, so that we can see exactly how they're defined:

iptables --list-rules

You mentioned port forwarding. Port forwarding does not apply here unless you're running some sort of tunnel or NAT. Otherwise, your server is exposed to the internet directly and the FORWARD chain is never used.

You should also be safe to run with iptables disabled.
Aside from the single rule about port 25565, the rules I posted are the ones that came with my server. I'm not very experienced with iptables.

Here is the current output of iptables --list-rules

-P INPUT ACCEPT
-P FORWARD ACCEPT
-P OUTPUT ACCEPT
-A INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p icmp -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p tcp -m state --state NEW -m tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-prohibited
-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 25565 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-prohibited
-A OUTPUT -j ACCEPT
I removed INPUT -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-prohibited from this list and am now able to connect to my bukkit server with iptables enabled. Are there any other rules I should add or remove?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I'd recommend removing all of them with iptables --flush, as they shouldn't be needed and will reduce performance.

I will need to also take a look at what the OS distribution is doing, as those are not good defaults (we just use default OS installs).
LihP
New to forums
New to forums

Post by LihP »

I had the same issue with my VPS that I just bought, Thanks!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I have adjusted the CentOS 6.4 install to have a cleared-out firewall now.