VDS performance

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
OzumSage
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

VDS performance

Post by OzumSage »

we currently have a dedicated machine and it runs better than any machine we have ever rented. the only problem is that bf3 really isn't what we were told it would be. kind of expected bf3 and not bc3. we are losing players and our servers barely run so we were thinking of going for a vds due to not being able to afford the dedicated machine. on our dedicated machine, we have had over 300 players at once playing bf3, bc2, bc2 vietnam and medal of honor without a single issue.

does anyone have a vds running bf3 or bc2/vietnam on it that i can try? how is the performance on your vds when running full bf3 or bc2/vietnam servers. we had a vds about a year ago that we were running bc2/vietnam on and the performance was terrible. so much rubber banding and lag it was unplayable. we love our dedicated machine, but just can't afford it anymore.

tell me a little about your vds server performance and possibly where i can test yours out. looking for vdses that run bf3/bc2/vietnam in texas or chicago.
FAST
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: VDS performance

Post by FAST »

Do you mean you had a VDS here at NFO last year? How many cores did you purchase?
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

I ran BF3 and other games on my VDS and it's fine.
I have not seen any difference in performance between the two.
OzumSage
New to forums
New to forums

Post by OzumSage »

yes we had a 4 core vds and had major issues with bc2 where it was not playable. we then moved to a dedicated machine that we have now and we have never had an issue. we have just lost a bunch of guys for lack of interest in bf3 and need to find another solution. we didn't know if things have changed now and there aren't issues with vdses running certain games.
FAST
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FAST »

Sorry to hear that,

BC2 had its own performance issues for a while, many had the same issue like rubberbanding. I would give the 4 core a try again.

What games are you planning to run?
OzumSage
New to forums
New to forums

Post by OzumSage »

We currently have bc2, bc2 Vietnam, moh and bf3 that we would move over to the vds. I was curious if the issues with bc2 ever got worked out.
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by .=QUACK=.Major.Pain »

Can't run anymore than 54 slots on a vds for bf3.
Visit gspreviews.com And Rate & Review Your Old & Current GSP's
Find Your GSP Coupons at gspreviews.com/coupons/
OzumSage
New to forums
New to forums

Post by OzumSage »

Nfo is the best host we have had. We have been with these guys for a while now with vdses, website hosting and dedicated machines.
OzumSage
New to forums
New to forums

Post by OzumSage »

we wouldn't have all of them full at once. we have 48 man bf3 servers. how many cores would be safe? 2 cores per 48 man full or will 1 core for 48 man full do it?
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

BF3 is only available on 3-core VDS systems and up.
Can't remember but think it was mentioned 2 per 54 slots, but it may have been 2 per 32 slots.
OzumSage
New to forums
New to forums

Post by OzumSage »

we would be getting a 4 core minimum and possibly more if we can keep them full. our servers used to be full all the time, but lately not many are playing bf3. we have been playing more bc2 and vietnam. major pain do you not have bf3 vdses? i have seen you in the procon forums talking about bf3.
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

We have 1 on a 2-core vds. 32 slot. It has it's moments.
Mostly not for the good.
OzumSage
New to forums
New to forums

Post by OzumSage »

you mean performance wise or just not populated?
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Both
OzumSage
New to forums
New to forums

Post by OzumSage »

we haven't had good experiences with vdses in the past and was hoping the performance issue was hammered out with bc2, vietnam and bf3. i guess not. we have the e3-1270 machine now and love it, but we are losing interest in the games and losing money to pay for it. we are just afraid of paying for a 4 core and not getting to use it and have the same problems we had with bc2. i wish there was someone that we could test out a bf3 server on a vds.