FarCry Windows Dedicated + Windows 2003 x64 *ISSUE*

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
garbitos
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

FarCry Windows Dedicated + Windows 2003 x64 *ISSUE*

Post by garbitos »

(old game alert)

I still really like FarCry (2004) original and have run server(s) for FC the last 6+ years, as well as make some really nice server-side mods for it...I really want to get all my FC servers on an NFO VDS for multiple reasons like security, more control, performance etc...

...first impressions are very good, nice clean interface and smooth install process...very helpful forum, and its organized really nice with knowledgebase!

But i have a specific issue with my server...

I have used remote desktop to upload my server install files properly (double checked working on home pc windows 7 64).

*ISSUE* The cmd prompt window that is the FarCry dedicated server closes immediately after launching.

I have double checked the install files and configuration on home pc and is working fine as usual.

I am thinking maybe I need to try windows 2008 or possible windows 2003 x86...

Just wanted to ask for some advice before opening a ticket.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: FarCry Windows Dedicated + Windows 2003 x64 *ISSUE*

Post by Edge100x »

When you do your testing, make sure to launch it from a command prompt window. Unless it opens a separate window on top of that, this should give you additional errors that you are missing because the other method closes immediately.
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by .=QUACK=.Major.Pain »

If using a .bat file to start, put a line at the bottom "pause" which will keep the cmd box open so you can see the errors.
Visit gspreviews.com And Rate & Review Your Old & Current GSP's
Find Your GSP Coupons at gspreviews.com/coupons/
garbitos
New to forums
New to forums

Post by garbitos »

Wasn't able to get it to show me errors but it will run succesfully like this...

> Right Click > Run As > Administrator (Enter Password)

Server is up and running, joinable and smooth with a few players.

Anyone have any good resource for creating .bat or .cmd file that will launch this program as "Administrator"?

Side Note:

here is some code I have in current .cmd file that i use on home pc to "sustain" the server, that is it will restart the program if it has crashed... thanks a bunch from my friend Mixer =D

Code: Select all

TITLE xassm_sustained
:FUN
start "xassm_sustained" /Wait /High Bin32\FarCry_WinSV.exe %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9 "SProfile_run xassm_dedicated"
goto FUN
now the bad part...I cant get the .cmd file quite right to quit the specific cmd window...

TITLE xassm_sustained_kill
TASKKILL /F /IM cmd.exe /T
TASKKILL /F /FI "WINDOWTITLE eq xassm-sustained*"
TASKKILL /F /IM FarCry_WinSV.exe /T
...this is terrible/sloppy because it will just kill all cmd windows, not just the one i want it to.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

It's odd that it wouldn't run as an administrator to begin with. Were you logged in as a different user?

FireDaemon is one nice way of running servers under different credentials and/or having the auto-restart when they crash.
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

I installed the game on our VDS with our installer, and check the command line used and got this:

bin32\farcry_winsv.exe "-IP:74.201.57.240" "sv_port 49001" "SProfile_run port49001" gl_assault
The port is probably different in your case as I used the default supplied.
The port49001 would also be different. In L4D2, the normal file used is server.cfg, but the installer creates port27015.cfg. Allowing the use of multiple servers with the same ip but different ports.

Hope it helps some.
garbitos
New to forums
New to forums

Post by garbitos »

It's odd that it wouldn't run as an administrator to begin with. Were you logged in as a different user?
Not that I am aware of. I used the login method given in the control panel; i have not editied users or security/permissions.

FarCry came out just before Vista and the upgraded security that came with UAC and enhanced Administrator stuff.

To get FarCry to install properly on wndows 7 64 i had to make sure the installer was run as administrator.

Not sure if that gives any clues.

Ill keep trying and also look at FireDaemon again. Although the sustained code I shared is really quite cool if you are in a pinch and need a "sustained" type server...tuck it away your mindtrap's hehe.
garbitos
New to forums
New to forums

Post by garbitos »

The port is probably different in your case as I used the default supplied.
The port49001 would also be different. In L4D2, the normal file used is server.cfg, but the installer creates port27015.cfg. Allowing the use of multiple servers with the same ip but different ports.
Appreciate eyeballs on it for sure!

This all sounds familiar except the file "port27015.cfg" i have never seen this before in my travels.

I am running it pretty much bare (config wise) to begin with letting it use the default port which is "49001".

...just now installed my server-side mod files and its playing nice.

@.=QUACK=.Major.Pain if u want to also play with my server-side mod beta files I can Pm/email to you. it provides some really nice improvements to the old beauty cryengine1...some features you would expect on newer games + some unique stuff.

P.s.

here are the other ports for farCry servers...

UDP 41005-41006,49124-49125,49001-49002,44000,45000

TCP 40000 - 42999

Note: UDP "49001-49002" is for use on a machine running two FC servers, setting sv_port in server.cfg accordingly.

you get a little extra feedback in the console if the rcon client is DMZ, there is some hidden/alternating port we can't sort out!
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Don't have the game and never played it. lol
garbitos
New to forums
New to forums

Post by garbitos »

hehe thought so :)
garbitos
New to forums
New to forums

Post by garbitos »

Is there any particular reason why Windows Server 2003 x86 is "not recommended" in the control panel?

I want to give a try just for test sake, and was wondering this...
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

It doesn't run as well performance wise and can have some trouble with some software. The only reason it is there is there are a few cases of specific software needing the 32bit OS, and that is the only case it should be used. It may be worth trying in your case.
TimeX
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

If it runs on your home machine running Windows 7, then it should run well on Windows 2008 R2. They share the same code base, just as Windows 2003 shares the same code base as Windows XP and Windows 2008 (non-R2) shares the same code base as Vista.
garbitos
New to forums
New to forums

Post by garbitos »

It launches and runs a little better on Win 2003 x86, but I will also try Win 2008 R2 before i settle in too much. Thanks for all the great help and advice :)

The first game server I launched is doing great and very popular so far :) Smooth as buttttaaahhhh =D