Windows Server 2012 R2 Availability

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
ExCode
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Windows Server 2012 R2 Availability

Post by ExCode »

With the new OS recently going RTM, I was just wondering if/when it would be available for VDS plans. I was thinking about re-imaging if it were to become available. Thanks!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Windows Server 2012 R2 Availability

Post by Edge100x »

We don't currently have an ETA, but it will not be this month.

The pricing to us is significantly higher on this product than for other Windows editions, and we will need to test and vet it before we can offer it, so there are many angles to work on, and many decisions to consider. If system modifications are required to separate out customers wishing to run 2012 R2 in order to pass on this higher pricing, that will delay it a bit.

From a generic hosting perspective, I don't know of a compelling reason for running Windows 2012 or Windows 2012 R2. We use Windows 2008 R2 internally, and it seems to be the best for game servers. Windows 2012 R2 might be more useful to corporate customers that make use of domain-related features, and to hosters who use Hyper-V.