Natural Selection 2 Dedicated Server

Use this forum if you have a relatively general question or comment about a game, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, or Murmur/Mumble server with us. If you have a server-specific question that might not help out the community, please directly contact us through your control panel instead.
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: Natural Selection 2 Dedicated Server

Post by TacTicToe »

Kinda what I said. And that is idle with no players.

I was watching the webadmin, saw 5 players connect, and checked. RAM immediately shot up to 1.5gigs. The default setup is 24 players and there is apparently a 32 slot server running. At 24 players, I can guarantee you go over 2 gigs of RAM. Server is horribly optimized.

If you offer it John, I think most subscribers will want the "Higher CPU priority" option. Or they may need it.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

High CPU priority doesn't come in to play to often here. Since machines are highly underloaded it is a rare case if servers are fighting for CPU usage.

I am still testing around with NS2 on a VDS here and so far it is looking to be ok. Ram usage is high but they did confirm that the latest version had a memory leak.

Hopefully I should have some very solid numbers for John by the end of the night and then we can look in to offering them.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

I called the memory leak, just watching my RAM disappear before my eyes. 8O Keep an eye on the numbers if you can get players on the server. I swear it jumps almost 100 megs per player. Hopefully they get the issues resolved. I'm thinking, if they havent figured it out after all these years, what can you really expect from the next patch? :roll:
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

Just updated my server. Starts at 747 megs then slowly climbs to 760 megs. CPU was around 2%, seems they might be going in the right direction.
Florp Incarnate
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Florp Incarnate »

OP here, just wanted to say that my clan is keenly watching this thread with wallets in hand ;)

We decided against an unmanaged VDS due to the fact that the game requires so much CPU... we didn't want to share hyperthreaded cores.

Our NFO servers in the past have been better than our other attempts... would really prefer to stay loyal if you can get this straightened out asap.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

NS2 is something I have been working on. I am actually doing some test as I type this. Currently I am testing on a three-four core VDS running running an E3-1270 and an E5-2690. Unfortunately, I don't think this game virtualizes well, The performance is extremely unpredictable.

So far 16 players on a three core VDS running on an E3-1270 or E5-2690 should be perfect. After that amount it really starts to be taxing. I will see if I can get one up and bare hardware and see how it plays.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

Weird. Mine is an 8 core and it has problems. Not huge, but it definitely eats up some CPU. When I have this server running, core #1 is getting pounded. Seemed to be hanging today after running for about 18 hours. I could connect to it via the crappy webadmin, but it showed no players online, like it couldn't tell if there was anyone there or not. It was using 890 megs of RAM at the time I re-started it. CPU usage seems down, but server does not seem to be hyper thread friendly. Still needs some optimizing.

kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

It definitely needs to be optimized, I learned further down the road in testing that after several hours of uptime the performance starts to drop.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

Daily restarts should help but damn, this game is terrible to host.

NS2 developers need to really focus on this aspect or no hosting company will offer this on their managed machines....let alone unmanaged providers.

This game is a server killer.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Surprisingly many do. There are even some providers overclocking 2600K's and selling them. Those actually perform decently well but I noticed ticks dropping in to the low 20's as well. It is pretty clear the dedicated server needs to be optimized.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
FAST
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FAST »

These servers are doing well in terms of tickrate. Not sure if it's due to overclocking.

http://ns2servers.devicenull.org/detail.php?id=2884
http://ns2servers.devicenull.org/detail.php?id=98
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Most likely just bare hardware on a machine that isn't being overloaded. Could be overclocked though.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

All I can say, is it seems the longer the server runs, the worse it gets. I'm thinking there is still a memory leak. There are a crap load of servers online, I gotta tell ya. I didnt think there would be that great a demand for this game. Granted the player to slot ratio is still low. Im sure as with most new games, many of these servers will begin to disappear soon due to lack of use, and costly CPU usage. The ends dont justify the means here.

Nice browser link here.

http://hypernovadesign.co.uk/nanogrid/
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

I have no doubt they will work to optimize it but the question is, will they do it before a good chunk of servers owners/hosters give up?
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

kraze wrote:I have no doubt they will work to optimize it but the question is, will they do it before a good chunk of servers owners/hosters give up?
Most likely not if it took them a decade to create this game. :P