Well done

Had a good experience with our servers? Congratulate us here!
moon
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Well done

Post by moon »

Been with NFO for about 6 months now, and the service and support have been great. I have a 2-core VDS that runs a couple of popular game servers. Network runs smooth, load on the VDS is always low, and the package offers considerably more than other VDS providers in terms of bandwidth, memory, and disk space. Great deal all around and no complaints, so I've kept to myself since things have been running smooth.

Something happened today though that made me have to take the time to post this. Started receiving a massive DDoS attack that was chewing through bandwidth quickly and was coming from several thousand different IP address. Of course it was attacking the main port for the most popular game server to knock it offline, something that is unfortunately very common in the gaming community...

Not much can be done in the case of such an attack, so I shutdown the game server, firewalled the attacked port (which was only minimally effective as requests kept coming in just as quickly), and contacted support just to let them know it was happening. I was worried they would null-route the IP on me, knocking off other important parts of the server. No more than 15 min later support elevated the problem to the owner (John) and he cut the attack off at the router, as it had a fairly easily recognizable signature for anyone who could inspect the payload. Not only was the IP not null-routed, but the game servers were able to start back up and re-populate quickly, since NFO successfully mitigated the attack in record time.

I only give this much detail so that people know this is a pro hosting provider. They know their stuff well, and figuring out this problem so quickly is testament to that. DDoS attacks are pain, and most providers won't even try to touch them. I used to host these servers on Linode, which is no slouch, but as soon as we would get a DoS attack (not even a DDoS) my IP would be null-routed for a week. I'd have to set up a new linode with a new IP and then wait months to try to build the traffic up again to the new server. The last time we got an attack, Linode canceled my account and told me to get lost. When we got an attack this time, NFO easily figured out how to deal with it and fixed it immediately. Bravo on a great service.

-- MooN
Kropp
A regular
A regular

Re: Well done

Post by Kropp »

I don't even notice when people DDoS any more.
Its just a little rise in ping by like 50 for my users its amazing.
yashirotcm
New to forums
New to forums

Re: Well done

Post by yashirotcm »

I could not but lol @ a few raging kids that have threatened me with DDoS attacks when I banned them for cheating, little they know about NFO's mitigation record times, luckily their threat's have not yet materialized, but it's not like im worried about it anymore.

NFO = GOD

Nuff said.