off topic: I found this funny..

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

off topic: I found this funny..

Post by kraze »

So I couldn't figure out why my Comcast internet has been messing up last few months. well Comcast has a 250GB BW cap month on their services. I used;

feb: 295GB

march: 781GB

april: 440 GB

may: 422GB
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
arucarD
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Re: off topic: I found this funny..

Post by arucarD »

Yeah, I try my best not to come close to the limit, very difficult to do. Generous as it may be, still not as much as I would like, but I am not paying to go business as they recommended me to. lol
. [ R ] .
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

I had no idea I was so high. The usage meter in my account disappeared so I couldn't monitor it. I mean 4 computers on the network that are always on and downloads/uploading. The limit is extremely low.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
arucarD
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by arucarD »

Yeah, I argued with them to high hell trying to figure out why it was so low, especially for the premium they charge. Unfortunately the only response I was given was that of it costs money to have bandwidth. .

Never got much further and then I was told to get the business package, does not seem too much better I am sure.
Are there restrictions on data consumption that apply to the Service?
The Service is for commercial use only in a small, medium, or large business as determined by the applicable Business Services Agreement. Therefore, Comcast reserves the right to suspend or terminate Service accounts where data consumption is not characteristic of a typical commercial user of the Service as determined by the company in its sole discretion, or where it exceeds published data consumption limitations. Common activities that may cause excessive data consumption in violation of this Policy include, but are not limited to, numerous or continuous bulk transfers of files and other high capacity traffic using (i) file transfer protocol ("FTP"), (ii) peer-to-peer applications, and (iii) newsgroups.
Usage meter in my account is usually wrong, so I meter my own bandwidth to be sure I am still remaining under my limit. Pain in the ass it is.
. [ R ] .
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

It is a rule that the FCC instated for them I believe. In simple terms people were using Comcast because of their fast speeds to torrent 24/7. It was no only using a ton of BW it was making it so other customers on CC could not do their thing. Long story short FCC said to limit them. However for the past 4 months I was over my limit and very extremely and nothing happened to me...Apparently my internet gets throttled but I am unsure.

P.S..if you are getting ready to go over your limit request a new modem. One will be sent to your house after you tell them you want it for me and it resets your BW limit!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

My one connection is 25x2 with a 250GB soft cap. Other one is 25x2.5 with 100GB hard cap! We got it a lot harder north of border. Try a 25Mb service with only 100GB and overages at $2.00/GB. :evil:
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

I couldn't live like that..

Apparently business class is better but I just don't know. As soon as Verizon Fios is in my town I will move to get that signal lol
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
arucarD
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by arucarD »

I had FiOS.. Was the best internet I had ever had. I could have gotten here as well, my mistake. [Good thing I can still get it as well, thats the type of Comcast package I have, allows me to cancel without fees other than what is owed. I also pay out of my ass for it.]

I never encountered issues when I ran FiOS, only an occasional issue with connection due the area being brand new to the service. Business class is better, but it costs more and is still metered.
. [ R ] .
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

Here, most business packages aren't metered or atleast the caps are soft. Problem is most of the business connections here have only 1Mb upload, which is ridiculous. Need more than that to run a business. A couple 15x5 business packages, but they are $400/month and it's cable, so speed aren't stable.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

WOW

Thats crazy...

I really hope Google is successful with it's fiber optic internet testing. I think they can bring a whole new name to the Internet
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
hlds_noob
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by hlds_noob »

The reason why the internet sucks in the USA, is because there is no provider competition. In the EU, fiber optic service costs around $16.99 a month, and sometimes less then that.

Our congress has its head where the sun don't shine.
Watch this video segment on the PBS program "need to know".

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/need-to-know/cu ... iber/9263/
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Yea..

I am hopping that Google internet and Verizion Fios can change this. At&t also seems to be catching on a little but the speeds are slow. Comcast I am sure will be the last.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
hlds_noob
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by hlds_noob »

In that video segment, They say that all of the providers in the USA say that the type of competition they have in the EU wouldn't be good for America, but at the same time they say its great for the EU. That sounds like the same type of talk one would hear from the cigaret industry or the banking industry, or any other industry that just wants to keep the status quo of too big to fail.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Yea..

I was surprised that South Korea has more access then we do. I am still shocked that people are still using dial up. Some cases dial up is more expensive then cable.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
Sim
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Sim »

We do need competition for internet service in the US. We use to have it when dial-up was the only option, back then We had 6-8 ISP's, now were stuck with 2-3 providers in most cities.

No competition = no reason for ISP's to upgrade its network, they can just use bandwidth caps and keep prices high.